Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act Policy
Policy Statement : January 1, 2013
Policy Revision : Jan 2, 2023
Mike Dean Local Grocer is committed to providing and maintaining accessibility to the selling area of our grocery stores to persons with disabilities in a manner that respects their dignity and independence.
All shoppers have the right to equal opportunity to obtain goods of offer in our stores.
Our goal is to provide barrier free access to the store and the goods on offer to all customers.
Shoppers are welcome to ask for assistance at any point while shopping, while going through the cash checkout, or while in our parking lots. We are happy to help.
We continue to make efforts to ensure that all of our staff and management are trained in the purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005 and the requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service.
Above all, this is rural Ontario. If you require assistance at any time for any reason please just ask and we will provide for you, and make it happen with a smile.
Personal Information Protection Policy
Policy Statement : April 6, 2009
Policy Revision: June 8, 2022
Mike Dean Local Grocer is committed to safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us by our customers and employees. We manage your personal information in accordance with the Federal Personal Information Protection and Electronics Document Act.
We collect only the personal information that we need for the following purposes:
- Open, manage, and review an account for charge on account purposes.
- Managing our Human Resources file,
- Processing payroll deposits,
- Meeting all regulatory requirements.
We will use your personal information only for the purpose it was collected, as well as using appropriate security measures to control access to your personal information. We retain personal information only as long as is reasonable or as directed by law. We will not release, rent, or sell your personal information to any other business.
Prevention of Workplace Violence Policy Statement
Policy Statement : June 2, 2009
Policy Statement Revision: Jan 2, 2023
Mike Dean Local Grocer recognizes the potential for workplace violence and other aggressive behaviour directed at our management and employees.
We will not tolerate behaviour from anyone (customers, fellow employees, management, contractors, suppliers, drivers, spouses, or partners) that intimidates, threatens, harasses, abuses, injures, or otherwise victimizes our employees. Mike Dean Local Grocer will take whatever steps are appropriate to protect our employees from potential hazards associated with violence in the workplace.
Mike Dean Local Grocer implements a workplace violence program that includes measures and procedures to protect workers from workplace violence.
- Identify and inform employees working in our stores of potential areas of violence in the workplace,
- Ensure all steps are taken to minimize the risk to our employees from violence,
- Report and investigate all incidents of violence in a timely and fair manner,
- Report outcomes to our Joint Health and Safety Committee.
Employee Responsibilities Employees will:
- Employees are responsible to be familiarized with potential areas of violence,
- Employees are required to immediately report any incident of violence to their supervisor,
- Employees are required to continually assess workplace violence hazards,
- Employees may report incidents of violence to any Joint Health and Safety Committee member.
Procedure for Summoning Assistance
- First response for assistance when dealing with any problem or situation that could lead to violence in the workplace is paging ‘Store Security’ to the problem area of the store. At that point all staff on duty are to congregate in that area of the store to provide visible support. The acting manager on duty will step in to defuse and take over handling the problem.
- For any issue or problem that has escalated to a point that violence seems likely, please call the Police immediately at 9-1-1 for an emergency response.
No manager or employee will be penalized or reprimanded when acting in good faith while following the procedures for addressing incidents of workplace violence.
Prevention of Harassment in the Workplace Policy Statement
Policy Statement : June 2, 2009
Policy Revision: Jan 3, 2023
Mike Dean Local Grocer is committed to ensuring all management and employees are treated fairly in the workplace and will be provided a workplace free of harassment.
We will not tolerate behaviour from anyone (customers, fellow employees, management, contractors, suppliers, or drivers) that demeans, belittles, or causes personal embarrassment to an employee. Mike Dean Local Grocer will take whatever steps are appropriate to protect our employees from potential harassment in the workplace.
Specifically, sexual harassment is any conduct, comment, gesture, or contact of sexual nature that causes offence or humiliation to an employee - male or female.
- Ensure all steps are taken to minimize the risk to our employees from harassment in the workplace,
- Report and document all incidents of harassment,
- Ensure confidentiality of complaints,
- Senior Management will investigate and deal with all concerns, complaints, or incidents of workplace harassment in a timely and fair manner,
- Report the outcomes to our Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Employees are responsible to be familiarized with potential areas of workplace harassment,
- Employees are required to immediately report any incident of harassment to their supervisor,
- Employees are required to report potential for workplace harassment to their supervisor,
- Employees may report incidents of harassment to any Joint Health and Safety Committee member.
This policy is not intended to limit or constrain the reasonable exercise of management functions in the workplace.
No manager or employee will be penalized or reprimanded when acting in good faith while following the procedures for addressing incidents of harassment in the workplace.
For clarity, harassment or discrimination under the Mike Dean Local Grocer Harassment Policy and Program does not include reasonable action or conduct that is part of the day to day work function (i.e changes in work assignments, scheduling, job assessment and evaluation, workplace inspections, implementation of dress codes, disciplinary action, or workplace direction from Management) by Mike Dean Local Grocer Management or Supervisors or differences of opinion or minor disagreements.
Workplace Health and Safety Policy
Policy Statement Revision: Jan 3, 2023
The safety of the employees of Mike Dean Local Grocer is very important. We want every employee to leave work each day without having had an accident or injury.
Each employee must be a one-person safety committee by letting their manager know about any unsafe equipment, machines, or conditions. Secondly, every employee is responsible for keeping their work areas clean and organized.
Good housekeeping goes hand in hand with personal safety.
All potential safety threats or concerns should also be forwarded to our Joint Health and Safety Committee. As a team, the owners, management, and employees of Mike Dean Local Grocer all work together to ensure everyone’s safety is the number one priority.
Our Joint Health and Safety Committee meets to overview any concerns. As well, they are required to walk the building to identify any other health and safety issues. All staff are welcome to submit comments or recommendations at these meetings.
In the event of any injury to an employee or customer, an “Injury Report” found in the front service department office must be completed. In the event of an employee requiring medical attention, the injured employee must be escorted to the hospital.
In the event of an injury, Mike Dean Local Grocer requires that all employees fully cooperate and ensure a quick return to work. We will work with you, your doctor, and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board of Ontario to modify duties to accommodate your needs.
Food Allergy Notice
Revision: Jan 3, 2023
Please be advised that all Packaged Goods sold at Mike Dean Local Grocer is labeled by the vendor or manufacturer with specific food allergen notices as appropriate and in compliance to the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations.
However, in-store we also prepare many deli, bakery, produce, meat, or take-home-meal products in a common grocery store facility that processes, cooks with, and sells these common allergen ingredients:
Milk, Eggs, Sulphites, Wheat, Gluten, Soy, Mustard, Sesame, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish and Shellfish.
Our in-store prepared and packaged foods may have come in contact with any of these allergens and are prepared in a grocery store facility that also handles and sells these allergens.
Thank you Mike Dean Local Grocer